Since 2020, Gault&Millau has published a gastronomic guide entirely devoted to Luxembourg. "Gault&Millau Luxembourg 2024" selects not only the best restaurants and brasseries but also the hippest hangouts, the coolest bars and Luxembourg's finest chocolatiers. The guide also showcases local produce and the country's finest wines. Chef Louis Linster won the title of "Chef of the year", confirming the Léa Linster restaurant as one of the country's most prestigious places to eat.
Restaurant Léa Linster: a family story
Léa Linster completely refurbished the former petrol station owned by her father since the 1950s, which also served as a bistro, bowling alley and tobacco shop, and turned it into a restaurant. In 1987, the restaurant which is located in Frisange was awarded its first Michelin star, which it has retained to this day. In 2010, Léa's son Louis Linster took over part of the family business, and in 2017 became head chef and Luxembourg's youngest ever Michelin-starred chef.
Now, the young chef has just received another award for his outstanding work - Louis Linster was crowned "Chef of the year 2024". It is truly exceptional for such a young chef to receive such a high distinction. The jury praised his perseverance, consistency and creativity.
Young chef, baker, sommelier and the other 2024 award winners
The guide also selected winners in other categories:
- Young chef of the year: Clovis Degrave from the Grünewald Chef's Table & Hostellerie du Grünewald restaurants (Luxembourg City).
- Discovery of the year: chef Moris Clip from the Specto restaurant (Bertrange).
- Mediterranean of the year: chef Fernando Andreu from the Fevi Gaudium restaurant (Esch-sur-Alzette).
- Baker of the year: chef Paul Bungert from the Ma Langue Sourit restaurant (Moutfort).
- Hostesses of the year: the mother-daughter duo Lysiane and Katell Guillou from the Guillou Campagne restaurant (Schouweiler).
- Sommelier of the year: Olivier Petit from the Mosconi restaurant (Luxembourg City).
- Hip of the year: Manzoku (Luxembourg City).
- Bar of the year: B.A.C. (Luxembourg City).
Feierstengszalot prepared by Clovis Degrave, "Young chef of the year 2024"
Do you want to cook something by the "Young chef of the year 2024"?
Clovis Degrave shares with us his reinterpretation of a Luxembourgish culinary classic: the Feierstengszalot. The chef showcases his gastronomic treats at the Grünewald Chef's Table & Hostellerie du Grünewald restaurants. His dishes are brimming with tradition and contemporary twists.
Local produce and wines display their dominance
The 2022 edition had two major innovations: the "Terroir restaurant" prize, which seeks to highlight respect for the environment and the use of local produce in the restaurant industry, and a special section devoted to the best wines of the Grand Duchy - the "Stars of the Moselle". These new categories have gone from strength to strength in 2024.
The Becher Gare restaurant (Bech) was awarded the "Terroir restaurant" prize.
When it comes to wines, Gault&Millau continues to promote local wines with grape expectations in the "Stars of the Moselle" section. The wines of the year selected by the guide:
- Sparkling wine: Crémant du Luxembourg Brut-Domaine Clos des Rochers.
- White wine: Chardonnay Barrique 2020-Château Pauqué.
- Red wine: Pinot Noir Palmberg 2020-Winery Jeff Konsbrück.
- Special wine: Muscat Ottonel 2021-Domaine Viticole Pundel Hoffeld/Caves Pundel Err.
- Sweet wine: Gewürtztraminer Vin de Paille GPC 2020-Domaines Vinsmoselle.
Selected restaurants and artisans
The restaurants Ma Langue Sourit and La Distillerie are still the highest ranked with a score of 18.5/20 and 18/20 respectively. As for chocolatiers, ten spots are sure to tantalise the sweetest of taste buds, with Le Chocolat Alain Ducasse and Passion Chocolat the newcomers to the guide.
Of particular interest are the 23 new locations listed in the guide, which confirm the country's special creative culinary environment. Here is a selection:
- Waïstuff A Possen (Bech-Kleinmacher).
- Victoria vum Berdorfer Eck (Berdorf).
- Grand Café (Bertrange).
- Lakeside (Echternach).
- Equilibrium (Luxembourg City).
- SixSeven (Luxembourg City).
- L'Hêtre beim Musée (Luxembourg City).
- Tero H17 (Luxembourg City).
- Trattoria Da Gino (Luxembourg City).
- Gusto Naturale (Schifflange).
- Casa Gabriele (Luxembourg City).
- Pop-up Hertz (Luxembourg City).
- First Floor (Luxembourg City).
- Um Plateau (Bertrange).
- Shinzo (Luxembourg City).
- Maya Bar (Luxembourg City).
- Drupi's (Esch-sur-Alzette).