Searching, renting, buying ... A lot of people would like to find a place to live in the Grand Duchy. This page will provide you with all the useful information you need to guide you through the process of renting or buying property. 

Are you planning to buy a property or rent a flat or house in the Grand Duchy? Or do you already live in the Grand Duchy and have decided to move? The following paragraphs will provide you with the information you need. 

Property transactions are an involved business, calling for reliable information on property prices, housing possibilities, State aid and even property taxation, both before and after buying or renting the property. That's why you'll find here all the information and advice you need to take you through the procedures.  

Should you rent or buy?

Before you start looking, you should know that the resident population is growing constantly - it increased by 20% between 2010 and 2018 (from 512,029 to 613,894), and this has placed a considerable burden on the property market. In other words, the offer of new housing isn't keeping up with population growth, and that has an effect on property prices. Here you can see in detail the price per square metre for each municipality (place) and for each district in  Luxembourg City

In the Grand Duchy, as elsewhere, trying to find a place to live involves looking at property listings on specialised websites, using, and in the local press. It is also possible to contact directly any of the numerous estate agents in the Grand Duchy or via the Vivi property information and advertisement portal

Before you start

Take a look at the website of the Housing Observatory (Observatoire de l’Habitat). This body, which was established by the Ministry of Housing in 2003, collects data on the housing market and, throughout the year, analyses the supply and prices of housing and building plots.

And take a look at the Citizens’ Portal at for information on how to go about renting housing  and the procedures to go through to buy  your own home.

And in order to better understand your rights and obligations in terms of lease contracts, you can refer to the special page made available by the Consumers’ Union (Union des Consommateurs). If you want to buy a home, take a look at the leaflet entitled Devenir Propriétaire (Becoming a property owner) produced by the Consumers' Union. 

Renting a property

© Thinkstock

Rent and other charges

For rented property, agency fees usually amount to one month's rent, to which is added both VAT at 17%, and you will be required to pay a deposit (garantie locative) of up to three months' rent before you move in. In some cases this deposit is paid directly to the owner, or it may be put into a blocked bank account in the form of a bank guarantee. Anyone wanting to rent a property who doesn't have the resources to pay the deposit required by the owner can apply for financial assistance from the State to fund the deposit. (Financial assistance from the State for paying a deposit).

Relocation agencies

To find property to rent, you can also go through a relocation agency - a company that provides a personalised service that takes the strain out of moving into a new place: They can help you look for a flat, deal with the administrative formalities, find a school for your children, etc.

Here's a list of relocation agencies.

Flat- and house-sharing

This can be an interesting alternative for anyone looking for a degree of conviviality and wanting to keep their accommodation costs down. Visit websites such as, which allow you to advertise and look for advertisements for flat-sharing in the Grand Duchy! Be aware that a charge may be made for some of these advertisements!

Are you energy-saving or energy-consuming ?

While you are browsing the property listings, be sure to check the energy performance certificate of  the different properties available. This mandatory document, that the owner must have drawn up by experts, provides interesting information on the energy performance of your future home.

Buying a property

Public auctions

If you plan to buy a property, note that the site  allows you to find a notary, the person who has to draw up the deed of sale in accordance with procedures in force, once the preliminary sale agreement (compromis de vente) has been signed.

In addition, notaries regularly conduct public auctions of property, which can prove worthwhile.

Tax credit

It should be noted in this context that the Luxembourg Government has introduced an allowance known as the tax credit (Bëllegen Akt in Luxembourgish - literally Cheap Deed) to reduce the ancillary expenses associated with buying property. The credit applies to registration and transcription fees and is available to anyone wishing to acquire property (and certain types of outbuilding) for personal residential purposes.

Details of the procedure can be found on the "Applying for a tax credit on notarial instruments" on the Citizens portal.

State assistance

People wishing to buy residential property are also entitled to several types of financial assistance from the State, but certain conditions apply.

More information can be found at the Citizens portal and on the website of the Ministry of Housing.

The energy performance certificate

It should also be noted that it is obligatory to arrange for an energy performance certificate to be drawn up whenever there is a change of owner or tenant in a residential building. More information about this is available on the website.

Clever ideas for students

If you are a full-time student, you can apply for student rental accommodation on the website of the University of Luxembourg's Student Housing Unit. Students usually rent a furnished room in a residence or a fitted-out house shared with other young people. Furnished and fitted-out studios are only available for doctoral students. Existing housing, which costs between EUR 350 and 590 per month, is allocated according to availability. However, waiting lists can be long.

© 2015 SIP / Claude Piscitelli

Water, gas and electricity

In the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, consumers are free to choose their electricity or natural gas supplier.

For connection to the gas and electricity supply, contact:

For your water supply, you will need to contact your municipal administration.



When you arrive, you should think about taking out the following insurance policies with one of the insurance companies established in Luxembourg:

  •  third party liability insurance for motor vehicles  (compulsory). You will find more information about taxes and insurance for motor vehicles in the section entitled "Getting about in Luxembourg" on the "Tax and Insurance" page.
  •  private third party liability insurance to protect you and your family against the financial consequences if you cause harm to a third party (not compulsory in the Grand Duchy but warmly recommended);
  •  fire insurance  for your accommodation (not compulsory in the Grand Duchy but strongly recommended).

You will find a list of insurance companies established in the Grand Duchy on the website of the Supervisory Authority for the Insurance Sector (Commissariat aux Assurances).