Would you like to study in a multicultural and multilingual country in the heart of Europe? Are you planning to study in Luxembourg? Not only is there a diverse selection of higher education institutions in the country, but the cultural and social environment will make you enjoy your student life to the fullest.
The University of Luxembourg, known the world over for its multilingualism, its international outlook and its research programmes, welcomes a good number of students both from the Grand Duchy and abroad. This is also a number of private and international universities offering a wide range of courses and qualifications to meet every need.
The University of Luxembourg
The University's teaching features the availability of an abundance of high-quality programmes. Welcome to the University of Luxembourg. Created in 2003, it is the only public university in the Grand Duchy. It comprises three faculties, located in different parts of the country:
- The Faculty of Science, Technology and Communication (FSTC) in Luxembourg- Kirchberg;
- the Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education in Esch- Belval;
- The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance (FDEF), including the Luxembourg School of Finance, in Luxembourg-Limpertsberg.
At the top of the Times Higher Education (THE) and U-Multirank rankings, and leading the THE in terms of international perspectives, the University of Luxembourg is making its reputation.
A European university
The University of Luxembourg is European through and through: located at the heart of the European Union, it is by nature multilingual and international (53% of students are from outside the Grand Duchy). The programmes are either bi- or trilingual ( French, German, English) or entirely held in English. Moreover, some bachelor and master programmes are bi- or even tri-national, involving neighbouring countries.
The popularity of the young university is based on research - especially in the fields of computer science, biomedicine, European law and the educational sciences - and on its interdisciplinary approach. In addition, the close collaboration with the country's financial institutions and companies allows students to immerse themselves in the professional sector from the very beginning of their studies.
Private and international universities
In addition to the University of Luxembourg, there are also foreign and private universities in the country:
- The Luxembourg School of Business (LSB), which is AACSB accredited, offers a 'Weekend MBA' ( Master of Business Administration) mainly for people who wish to acquire their qualification over a two-year period while at the same time working full-time.
- The Sacred Heart University Luxembourg, which is also AACSB accredited, is an American university that specialises in business and management. It operates in close collaboration with a range of Luxembourgish businesses.
- The Lunex University is specialised in sport, motricity, therapy and preventive medicine. Located in Differdange, it offers various university courses at bachelor and master levels in physiotherapy and sports management, all with European recognition.
- The Miami University Dolibois European Center (MUDEC) makes it possible for American and international students to study in the heart of Europe and maintain academic and socio-cultural links with the Grand Duchy and Europe.
- The BBI School for International Hospitality and Tourism Management in Wiltz is a private school for hospitality management and tourism. Both the bachelor and master program are in English.
It should also be noted that there are type training courses (higher technician's certificate) offered by technical high schools over a two-year period:
Lycée des Arts et Métiers (BTS Dessin d’Animation);
Lycée Classique d’Echternach (Commerce);
Lycée Josy Barthel (LJBM);
Lycée Technique Ecole de Commerce et de Gestion (ECG);
Lycée Technique pour Professions de Santé (LTPS).
Long distance studying
Various institutions offer distance learning programs:
- The Open University Luxembourg, a cooperation between the Chamber of Employees and the Open University of Great Britain, offers bachelor and master courses in English. Management, management and IT programs are the most popular.
- The accredited Open Distance Higher School offers bachelor and master courses in human resources, communication, marketing, business strategy, banking and finance, tourism and hospitality and security and environment. It is a member of the European Federation of Schools(FEDE).