Gromperekichelcher A delicious potato dish
Gromperekichelcher are one of Luxembourg’s most beloved specialties: this simple but tasty dish is eaten at popular festivals and fairs across the Grand Duchy. These potato patties are fried in oil, eaten warm and usually served with apple sauce and a sprinkling of salt. However, the simplicity of the dish opens the doors to many variations.
In Luxembourg, you're bound to find Gromperekichelcher at local festivals and markets. The fried potato pancakes are a traditional dish in Luxembourg, where they are savoured at major public events, such as on the market of the pilgrimage of the 'Oktav', and during festivities on the eve of the National Day and at the Schueberfouer, the huge fun fair, as well as at the country's Christmas markets.
Even though the roots of the Gromperekichelcher lie in Luxembourg's rural and farming past, many contemporary variations have added a little variety and versatility to this dish. Traditionally, they are served with salt and apple sauce, but the simplicity of the dish gives you the opportunity to create your own culinary twist to this recipe. Whether served as a side dish with soup or as a main course with fresh cream and dill, they are equally delicious!
Did we whet your appetite? If you cannot wait for the next official opportunity to cherish this delightful dish, don't worry... you can prepare this tasty treat yourself.
(for four to six people)
- 1 kg potatoes
- 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- 3 eggs
- grated nutmeg (according to taste)
- salt & pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour
- sunflower oil
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Grate the potatoes.
- Add them to the finely chopped onions and parsley. Add the eggs.
- Add the spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg) according to your taste, then add the flour and mix well.
- Pour sunflower oil into a frying pan, making sure that the entire bottom of the pan is covered in oil.
- With wet hands, form the potato batter into small, flat pancakes and place them in the pan. Fry on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden and they're ready!
- Before serving, you can place Gromperekichelcher on kitchen paper to absorb some of the oil. If you don't want to eat them immediately, you can keep them warm in the oven.
- Eat the Gromperekichelcher warm with a little sugar, salt and/or apple sauce. Enjoy!