All nationals of European Union (EU) member states or of countries treated as such are entitled to free circulation within the EU, giving them the right to work and live anywhere in the EU. 

Access to the labour market in Luxembourg  is open to citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA). Third-country nationals need an authorisation to stay (autorisation de séjour) and then a  residence permit.

The following countries are assimilated to the European Union member states:

Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as signatories of the European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement;

the Swiss Confederation.

Social security

All EU citizens have the same social security  benefits linked  to a contract of employment as those accorded to nationals. These cover sick leave and maternity leave, unemployment benefits and family allowances, industrial accidents and occupational diseases, as well as disability and old age pensions.

In most cases, the legal formalities for registering in Luxembourg (registration with the social security and tax authorities, etc.) will be performed by your new employer.

Cross-border workers

Luxembourg has a very high number of cross-border workers. For more information on the procedures to be followed as a migrant worker living in the regions bordering the Grand Duchy, consult the portal, "Newcomer" page

Third-country nationals

Third-country nationals need an authorisation to stay (autorisation  de séjour), followed by a residence  permit (titre de séjour),  in order to work in the Grand Duchy. For more information on what to do to enter the Luxembourg employment market as a third-country national,