For some time, the Grand Duchy has proven itself as a competent organiser of major sports events. Here is a list of the main sports events throughout the year.
- Luxembourg Euro Meet: organised annually since 1999, this is the biggest swimming event in the Grand Duchy, attended by international elite swimmers
- ING Eurocross: this international cross country race takes place every year in Diekirch and is one of the qualifying events for the IAAF World Cross Country Championships
- Postlaf: very popular family run in Luxembourg City, with a choice of routes over 10km plus two for children (500 and 1,000 metres).
- Relais pour la vie: the Luxembourg Cancer Foundation invites runners to take part in the 24-hour 'Relay for Life' at the National Sports and Cultural Centre 'D'Coque' (Centre national sportif et culturel d'Coque) in Luxembourg-Kirchberg
- DKV Urban Trail: a run right in the heart of Luxembourg City. During this run, established in 2010, participants have the choice between courses covering 34km (the 'GranDucale'), 27km (the Forts Trail) and 13km (Traces of Vauban) and mini-trails over 1,600 metres (for 9-12 year-olds) and 900 metres (for 6-8 year-olds). This is a perfect opportunity to discover the centre and the suburbs of Luxembourg City and take some exercise at the same time.
- COSL Spillfest: sports festival organised by the Luxembourg National Olympic Committee (Comité olympique et sportif luxembourgeois, COSL), held annually in Kockelscheuer, with the participation of sports clubs and federations.
- ING Europe-Marathon Luxembourg: this night-time marathon has been held in Luxembourg City since 2006. The event comprises several races: a marathon (42.195km), a semi-marathon (21.00km) and a mini-marathon (4.2km).
- Mission Nicht Rauchen (Mission No Smoking): event organised by the Cancer Foundation, with sports workshops on the Place Guillaume II and the Place d'Armes in Luxembourg City
- SKODA Tour de Luxembourg: established in 1935, the Tour de Luxembourg is a cycling race in several stages; it starts in Luxembourg City and travels around the country before returning to Luxembourg City.
- Flèche du Sud: international cycling race in several stages for hopeful elite racing cyclists
- Réiser Päerdsdeeg CSI Luxembourg (equestrian days in Roeser): created in 1992, the Luxembourg international jumping competition is the most prestigious equestrian event held in the Greater Region. Since 2011, the Luxembourg Grand Prix has counted as a selection event for the European Championships.
- IRONMAN 70.3 Luxembourg Région-Moselle: organised for the first time in 2013 in the Luxembourg Moselle area, this was the first IRONMAN-type triathlon to be held in the Grand Duchy; it comprises 1.9km swimming, 90km cycling, and a semi-marathon. Additionally the side events Iron Girl and IRONKIDS will make it an unforgettable race-weekend!
- JP Morgan City Jogging: running and Nordic walking through the most beautiful parts of Luxembourg City, with no timing. Distances of 10km or 6km to choose between. Organised by the Luxembourg Athletics Federation (Fédération luxembourgeoise d'athlétisme), with the support of the City of Luxembourg.
- 6 Stonne Vëlo: six hours of cycling. Relay cycle race for amateurs, organised by the cycling section of the Amicale Post Luxembourg, Luxembourg Post Office's friendly association. In recent years, the race has started in various towns, including Luxembourg City, Wiltz, Moutfort, Wincrange, Mersch and Roeserbann. For more information, please consult www.6stonnevelo.lu.
- Alles op de Velo (everybody on your bike!): on the third Sunday in July each year, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., the Mamer valley is reserved exclusively for walkers and non-motorised vehicles. This concerns a section of the CR101 road between Mamer and Mersch. The different stages of the course are Mersch, Schoenfels, Kopstal and Mamer. Distance covered: 15km. Entertainment and food stalls round off the event. Organisers: Ecology Movement (Mouvement écologique), in collaboration with the municipalities of Kopstal, Mamer and Mersch and the Luxembourg Bike Initative (Lëtzebuerger Vëlos-Initiativ, LVI). For more information, consult www.meco.lu.
- Gala Tour de France — criterium by invitation for elite racers and hopefuls: famous cyclists meet up each year at the end of July and early August in Esch-Belval for the Gala Tour de France. Various other events take place as part of this criterium.
- Foyer International Triathlon in Echternach: international triathlon organised since 1985 by the Luxembourg triathlon association Trilux — Triathlon Luxembourg and held near the lake in the historic town of Echternach.
- Escher Kulturlaf: 10km run combining sport and music. The route takes participants through Esch-sur-Alzette to various cultural sites. Along the way, a dozen music groups encourage the runners in their effort. Free race without time measurement.
- ING Route du vin semi-marathon: semi-marathon with the participation of a number of top international runners, held each year in the Luxembourg Moselle area.
- The BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open, the only official indoor tournament of the 'WTA Tour' for women in the Greater Region, has been bringing major national and international stars of the tennis circuit to Luxembourg since 1996;
- Walfer Vollékslaf: organised since 1975, this very popular family run offers a choice of distances (12km, 4.5km, and 900 metres for 5-12 year-olds).
- Indoor cycling marathon (spinning) in favour of organ donation: organised by the Ministry of Health and Luxembourg-Transplant on World Organ Donation Day each year, with the participation of many sport celebrities. For more information, please consult www.dondorganes.lu.