Building a home

Have you decided to embark on a building project? But you do not know how to go about it? Do not worry: this page will allow you to see things more clearly. Find information on prices, notaries, architects, building law, etc.

Finding a building plot

Every construction project begins with the purchase of land. As in the case of renting or purchasing a home, it may prove worthwhile to take a look at the analyses of the Housing Observatory (Observatoire de l’habitat) in order to get a better idea of the prices prevailing in the various regions of the country.

To find advertisements for building plots, visit specialised websites, such as and look at advertisements in the local press. You can also apply directly to the many estate agencies in Luxembourg.

Finding a notary

The website facilitates identification of a notary, a person with authority to draw up a deed of sale in accordance with the legal formalities in force, following signature of the 'preliminary sales agreement' (compromis de vente).

Tax credits

It should be noted in this context that the Luxembourg government has introduced an allowance known as the tax credit (Bëllegen Akt) to reduce incidental expenses associated with the acquisition of real estate. It applies to registration and transcription fees and in particular may be granted to anyone wishing to acquire a building plot in order to build a personal residence in the future. Find more information on the Citizens’ portal at Please refer to 'Apply for a tax credit for deeds' on the Citizens' Portal.

Finding an architect

If you are looking for a construction company, go to the site, which gives a fairly complete overview of the sector.

On the site of the Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers (Ordre des architectes et des ingénieurs-conseils, OAI), you will find a list of firms of architects who can advise you in planning your project.

It should be noted that in Luxembourg all plans for building work must be drawn up and signed by a person who is a professional architect or civil engineer, except in the case of individuals who declare their intention to make alterations to the inside of a dwelling intended for their own personal use, provided that the works are not aimed at load-bearing elements of the building and do not adversely affect the façade or the roof. Building plans must also be countersigned by the owner(s) of the building. The OAI has also published the 10th edition of its Architects and Consulting Engineers Reference Guide (available for EUR 25) in 2014.

State assistance

Finally, the Luxembourg State has provided for a series of grants for building work, which are subject to certain conditions.

The website of the Ministry of Housing gives a comprehensive overview of existing grants, as does the Citizens’ portal, which also offers a lot of other useful information about construction projects.

Building law

To better understand building law, see also the special page of the Consumers' Union (Union des consommateurs)!

  • Updated 27-04-2015