Foreign workers

This page is intended for all non-residents seeking employment in the Grand Duchy: European Union nationals, cross-border workers or third-country nationals. It gives you information about the steps to be taken regarding immigration and access to employment. You will find useful information on finding a job in the Grand Duchy on our 'Finding a job' page.

EU nationals

All nationals of European Union (EU) member states or of countries treated as such are entitled to free circulation within the EU, giving them the right to work and live anywhere in the EU. The following countries are assimilated to the European Union member states:

  • Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as signatories of the European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement;
  • the Swiss Confederation.

For more information

Legal and administrative formalities

In most cases, the legal formalities for registering in Luxembourg (registration with the social security and tax authorities, etc.) will be performed by your new employer.

Social security

All EU citizens have the same social security benefits linked to a contract of employment as those accorded to nationals. These cover sick leave and maternity leave, unemployment benefits and family allowances, industrial accidents and occupational diseases, as well as disability and old age pensions.

Cross-border workers

Luxembourg has a very high number of cross-border workers. For more information on procedures in respect of migrant workers living in regions bordering the Grand Duchy, see:

Third-country nationals

Third-country nationals need an authorisation to stay (autorisation de séjour), followed by a residence permit (titre de séjour), in order to work in the Grand Duchy. For more information on what to do to enter the Luxembourg employment market as a third-country national, please visit:

  • Updated 26-07-2018