Luxembourg currently boasts one of the highest standards of living in the world. This has not always been the case. Furthermore, the path followed by Luxembourg to attain this standard of living was anything but straight.
To learn more about the history of Luxembourg's economy during the 20th century, read the article by Statec economist Paul Zahlen 'The Luxembourg economy. An eventful history' in 'Lëtzebuerg. Grand-Duché de Luxembourg' © 2007 Service information et presse du gouvernement luxembourgeois.
- The late 19th century to the First World War;
- The 1913-1951 period: troubled times;
- The ‘thirty glorious years’: 1945-1975;
- World economic crisis: 1975-1985;
- 1985-2000: fifteen exceptional years;
- Economic downturn in 2001-2003: a medium-term perspective.