For the 500th anniversary of the Count of Mansfeld, the City of Luxembourg has opened a park with facilities where a magnificent château surrounded by grounds with fountains and exotic plants once stood. The park, which was opened in the presence of the burgomaster of the City of Luxembourg Lydie Polfer and the State Secretary for Culture Guy Arendt, now welcomes visitors year-round and invites them to take a walk or relax in what used to be the count's estate.
A centre for the local community
For the moment, the facilities in the park, located between Place Sainte-Conégonde and Rue de Clausen, are provisional. They include a petanque court, public toilets, a drinking water fountain, benches and other seating options. However, as part of the future permanent restoration of the park, there are plans to meet the needs expressed by the suburb's residents by including other features to turn the park into a pleasant and convivial meeting place.
At the back of the park, archaeological digs continue around the former château. Thanks to the history timeline with illustrations and explanations, visitors get an overview of the changes in this part of the city from the Middle Ages to today and more specifically during the Renaissance. The city is planning to carry out an in-depth study of the site's historic heritage (grounds and château) in order to carry out a project to integrate current needs and the exceptional historic value of the site.
A gem almost lost in time
The château known as 'La Fontaine', located in the suburb of Clausen, was the residence of the governor of the Spanish Netherlands Pierre-Ernest de Mansfeld (1517-1604). As an avid collector of books and works of art, Mansfeld had an estate built that became one of the most renowned in the Spanish Netherlands. Unfortunately the estate was mostly destroyed during the 17th century. There are still remains, butmost of the buildings and cellars were integrated into other buildings constructed on the site in the centuries following the death of Mansfeld.
Until now, digs have allowed archaeologists to reveal particularly rare 16th century remains belonging to the estate, including the bassin de Neptune (Neptune's lake), the grotto, the Fontaine de Saint-Pierre (Saint-Pierre fountain) and the Fontaine de Vénus (Venus fountain).
(Article written by the editorial team of the luxembourg.lu portal. Source: press release from the City of Luxembourg.)